*All information here applies to the HSRT for the Respiratory Therapy track as well.
The Rowan College of South Jersey - Gloucester and Cumberland Campus Testing Centers offer the HSRT (Health Sciences Reasoning Test) as part of the selective admissions requirement for the RCSJ Generic Nursing Program, the LPN-RN Program, and the Practical Nursing Program.
The Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) is a multiple-choice test specifically designed for two year and certificate programs. The HSRT is an online test administered in a timed setting and measures critical thinking as well as quantitative reasoning skills. The HSRT presents a variety of scenarios in clinical and professional practice contexts with the information provided in text-based and diagrammatic formats. HSRT questions ask test-takers to apply their skills in order to:
- Make interpretations
- Analyze information
- Draw inferences and warranted inferences
- Identify claims and reasons
- Evaluate the quality of arguments
The exam is timed (will not exceed an hour), computerized, and administered on campus. The cost is $47 per test and can be taken every 60 days. A photo ID is required. Please note: Remote Testing is not an option for HSRT.
To prepare for the HSRT:
Students can prepare by visiting: Insight Basecamp Click on "Products" and scroll down to "Quizzes and Surveys." You will notice, and can purchase, the "Critical Thinking Strategies - A Reasoning Skills Quiz." Also, available for free is the How to Prepare for IA Test PDF from Insight Assessment, which they suggested to use to prepare for the exam.
Registration & Scheduling of the HSRT
*Payment must be made to the SPECIFIC CAMPUS where you will take the exam.
Gloucester HSRT Test Dates, Registration, and Payment Information
Gloucester test dates.
- Seats are limited for all test dates. Students should be aware seats may fill before the established deadline registration dates.Test dates are also published in the RCSJ Selective Admissions packets for the Nursing program.
- Register & Payment for the HSRT
- Please visit the Testing Center located on the Gloucester Campus in the Student Services building, 2nd floor, room 1162.
- Business hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 9 AM-5 PM & Wednesdays 9 AM-7 PM.
- Payments accepted: Cash/Credit/Debit.
Cumberland HSRT Test Dates, Registration, and Payment Information
- View Cumberland test dates
- Please act quickly as test dates often fill up before the registration deadlines. Test dates are also published in the RCSJ Selective Admissions packets for the Nursing program.
- Proof of payment must be submitted to the Testing Center prior to registering for the HSRT.
- Using your college email and including your student ID#, email [email protected]
and copy [email protected], to request to be billed in your student account for the $47 test fee.
After paying, send payment confirmation (screenshot/photo) to the Testing Center to be registered.
- Students may also pay in person at the One Stop window and then email the receipt to
[email protected] to be registered.
To reschedule, you will need to pay a $15 fee to the One Stop and present the receipt to the Testing Center.
- Register for the HSRT
- Students can email [email protected] to register. Proof of payment is required to make your appointment.
To obtain test scores
Instructions on how to obtain unofficial score reports will be supplied upon completion of the HSRT. The official score report will be required when submitting your portfolio for selective admissions consideration.
Official score reports will be prepared for those who meet the minimum score requirement for application to the Nursing program. The minimum composite score required is 72.
Qualifying students may request an official score report by emailing the testing center where the test was administered.
Cumberland Testing Center
A photo ID will be required when picking up your official score report.
Visit RCSJ's Selective Admissions page to learn more about the process.