The Gloucester County Board of Commissioners in collaboration with Rowan College of South Jersey and the Gloucester County Workforce Development Board, are excited to offer this Allied Health Program opportunity to Gloucester County residents.
Beginning September 2023, RCSJ will run a day and evening Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) cohort at no cost to the eligible training participants. At the successful completion of the program, graduates who earn their state licensure will be eligible for open positions in care facilities throughout Gloucester County. Vacancy preference will be given to the Gloucester County Shady Lane Nursing Home.
The tuition savings program is also available to those interested in Practical Nursing to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The next cohort will begin in May 2024. This cohort will be trained at the Cumberland campus in Vineland and is a selective admissions program. Please follow this link to learn about the selective admissions process.
CNA Program Details
The CNA program is 90-hours and structured around 6-8 weeks for the daytime cohort and 7-9 weeks for the evening cohort.
Students learn basic care skills including monitoring vital signs, controlling infections, transferring and feeding clients as well as the Heimlich maneuver. Communication skills, body mechanics, bed making, restorative care and care of the dying client are among topics covered.
- Possess a High School Diploma or High School Equivalency
- Criminal background check and fingerprinting
- Immunizations based on CDC recommendations for healthcare providers
- Must complete online course “Introduction to HIPAA"
- Gloucester County residency preferred
About Shady Lane
Shady Lane Nursing Home has been part of Gloucester County's tradition since the 1800s. A special place where caring and quality long-term care to its residents go hand in hand, Shady Lane opened the doors to a new state of the art facility in the fall of 2005.
The 60-bed nursing home features 10 private rooms and 25 double rooms, and it has received the highest-ranking Score Card of nursing homes by the New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services in the county.
Program Benefits at Shady Lane
- Join as part of a cohort where some of your classmates will become your colleagues on the job
- Employment options for everyone; full-time, part-time, per diem
- Health benefits package to eligible employees
- Shady Lane CNA starting salary is $21 per hour
- Shady Lane LPN starting salary is $33 per hour