Hundreds of high school seniors in Cumberland County are eligible for the NJ STARS program, providing them with FREE tuition at the Rowan College of South Jersey Cumberland Campus! Are you one of them?
Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship
Who is Eligible?
"You work hard and make the grades, and we will cover the cost of your education."
-NJ Governor's Office
This year's graduates from N.J. high schools in the top 15% of their graduating class may be eligible for NJ STARS. We are currently admitting prospective high school graduates.How Does it Work?
First year: Students must be in the top 15% of their high school class and must apply for all other forms of state and federal financial aid, not including student loans.
Second year: Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA , be full-time degree-seeking students at the county college and file a financial aid renewal application by the end of May of each year.
STARS II: Extends the STAR scholarship to eligible STAR graduates to New Jersey 4 year public colleges and universities. Please see www.hesaa.org
for scholarship guidelines.
What are the Scholarship Guidelines?
What costs are not covered?
- The Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) is the governing agency and will determine guidelines for state residency, refund and repayment.
- Cumberland County students must attend Rowen College of South Jersey unless their chosen degree program is not offered by the college. The student may attend another county college within New Jersey and will still be eligible for NJ STARS.
- Beginning with the June 2009 high school graduates, students must complete all necessary pre college courses within one year of high school graduation. Students will not be considered for the scholarship until they are the college level in all subject areas through Accuplacer exam scores, brush-up courses, and/or remedial/developmental courses. Students must enroll full time for a minimum of 12 credits. The scholarship will pay up to 18 college credits a semester.
- The Scholarship covers the tuition for two years or up to five consecutive semesters, including any semesters for which they are eligible but do not receive a NJ STARS award.
- If the student does not enroll for a semester, they are no longer eligible for NJ STARS unless they have a documented medical leave or a family emergency and are approved by the college to stop attending. Students have two calendar years from their high school graduation date to apply for NJ STARS, though, students must complete any necessary developmental/remedial coursework within one year of high school graduation.
- The Scholarship, along with other financial assistance, must not exceed the cost of the tuition and fees.
How do I enroll at Rowan College of South Jersey?
- Admissions Application Fee (dual credit students with an admissions application file do not have to submit a new application
- Late fees
- Testing and License fees
- Health insurance (unless covered by private policy)
Why should I choose Rowan College of South Jersey Cumberland Campus?
- Complete an Admissions Application
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Rowan College of South Jersey (Federal/Title IV Schhol Code: 006901)
- Students may be exempt from taking sections of the Accuplacer if they meet these minimum requirements on their SAT and provide an official copy of their scores: SAT Reading 540 = No Reading Required and EN101 SAT Math 530 = First level of College Level Math
- Once test scores are available, contact William Reyes, 856-691-8600 ext. 1234 for an appointment
How can I learn more about NJ STARS?
- Save between $20,000–$80,000 on the cost of a four-year degree.
- High quality programs with small class sizes offer personalized instruction.
- Choose from 90 programs of study.
- Transfer agreements smooth the transfer to a four-year college or university.
- Your neighborhood college.
- Morning, afternoon, evening, weekend and Internet classes.
For more information on NJ STARS, visit www.hesaa.org
or call William Reyes, 856-691-8600 ext 1234, for admissions/registration questions