This comprehensive list reflects the core competencies that are essential for all RCSJ graduates; however, each program varies regarding competencies required for a specific degree. Critical thinking is embedded in all courses.
Written and Oral Communication
- Students will communicate effectively in both speech and writing.
Quantitative Knowledge and Skills
- Students will use appropriate mathematical and statistical concepts and operations to interpret data and to solve problems.
Scientific Knowledge and Reasoning
- Students will use the scientific method of inquiry, through the acquisition of scientific knowledge.
- Students will use computer systems or other appropriate forms of technology to achieve educational and personal goals.
Society and Human Behavior
- Students will use social science theories and concepts to analyze human behavior and social and political institutions and to act as responsible citizens.
- Students will analyze works in the fields of art, history, music, or theater; literature; philosophy and/or religious studies; and/or will gain competence in the use of a foreign language.
- Students will understand historical events and movements in World, Western, non-Western or American societies and assess their subsequent significance.
Global and Cultural Awareness
- Students will understand the importance of a global perspective and culturally diverse peoples.
Ethical Reasoning and Action
- Students will understand ethical issues and situations.
- Students will address an information need by locating, evaluating, and effectively using information.