The Academic Certificate program in Practical Nursing is designed for students who plan to become Licensed Practical Nurses. This program has selective admission criteria.
Individuals who are at college level and who are eligible to take English 101, and Anatomy and Physiology I, may consider this Practical Nursing program. The Practical Nursing Program can be completed in one calendar year. Graduates are awarded on Academic Certificate in Practical Nursing.
Rowan College's Cumberland Campus Practical Nursing Program is accredited by the New Jersey Board of Nursing, 124 Halsey Street, Newark, NJ 07102, 1-973-504-6430. Inquiries or complaints can be directed to their attention.
Upon completion of the program, graduates qualify to take the National Council of Licensure Examination for licensure as a Practical Nurse.
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate clinical competence at a novice practical nurse level.
- Apply critical thinking principles using the nursing process to attain an optimal level of client function.
- Demonstrate effective collaboration with the Registered Nurse in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care.
- Demonstrate effective communication with the client, significant others, health care providers and community agencies to provide holistic care.
- Demonstrate professionalism in nursing practice.
- Value participation in educational opportunities to maintain nursing competence.
Nursing is a
selective admissions program. Students must be accepted to the program before registering for any nursing (NUR) courses. Students apply to the RCSJ, Cumberland Campus and also apply to be considered for admission to the Practical Nursing program by completing and submitting a
Practical Nursing Program Admission Packet.
Interested in applying to the Registered Nurse or Practical Nurse program(s)?
- Do you have a min. overall GPA of 2.5?
- Have a High school diploma or a GED?
- Meet the prerequisites or eligibility to register for Anatomy & Physiology (A&P)?
- Completed all basic skills courses as required by the Accuplacer test?
The RCSJ-Cumberland Nursing Program only accepts admissions into each program once per year. Further information can be obtained by looking at the program handbooks and by calling the Nursing Department (ext. 1304) or Admissions (ext. 1220)
Please visit the testing center.
When you Graduate
This Academic Certificate program provides a career and degree pathway for those individuals who plan on receiving a practical nurse license. It also provides the opportunity for students to progress into a Registered Nurse Program.
Licensed practical nurse
The content and requirements of the program requirements may be altered at any time at the discretion of the College. The program requirements were checked for accuracy at the time of publishing but should not be considered a contract between the College and the student.
Students can download the Program Guide listed above to view a semester-by-semester breakdown of the required classes and electives for this program.
The RCSJ Catalog provides class descriptions.
The Course Registration Info site shows important information for each semester such as deadlines, dates, and guides.
For a complete list of when important College dates occur, students can view and download the Academic Calendar.